Thursday 13 June 2013

Reflection on my 3D Environment

What could I do better next time?
If I were to re-do this project I would have changed a number of things within my environment. I would first spend longer on the skydome texture as it is patchy in some places and unrealistic. The environment on a whole is a little too dark as well so I would have made up a few more light sources (E.G Lamps or fallen torches) The ambiance is a little questionable too, this is Roberts Park, not a tropic paradise, meaning the crickets are a little out of place but not so much so that it detracts from the intended theme.

What could I improve upon?
My main thing is lighting and ambiance. Video editing is another thing as I can only manage very simple transitions and effects. If I had more time and access to better software then I could have possibly produced a higher standard of work. Something I do want to improve on specifically is Unwrapping and Texture art. The textures I managed to produce were at a satisfactory standard but I would like to improve upon them and make them a lot more stylized. My original plan was to have a comic book feel to the environment but that quickly changed as I started producing textures.

What Went Well?
Generally, most of the modeling went better than expected. I've gained confidence over my 2 years at Shipley College and I've managed to produce a convincing environment from scratch. The Showcase was also a big success bringing in several interested potential students and even some old ones as well. Team Cyberchondriacs generally received positive feedback from students and the general public alike.

What didn't go well?
If I were to nit-pick then the lighting left something to be desired and also some of the texturing gave the same effect. Also some of the preliminary research didn't get done to an adequate standard and had to be re-done half way through production. Concepts were also something to note, the bandstand being simply a bandstand there wasn't much I could do in the ways of concept art. Granted I could have spent more time on concepting the environment as a whole but time was an issue and I had to start modeling as soon as possible.

Time Management
Looking back on the project thus far, I would say I've managed my time better than I have throughout the 2 year course. Modeling was handled with efficiency, granted the lighting was a little rushed and ambiance was a last minute thought but sound production was handled with minimal problems and the showcase went through without a hitch. Aside from a few production issues such as crashing renders and limited editing capabilities, the project went smoothly albeit a little patchy towards the end.

What have I learned?
I have learned, over the course of the project, how to effectively unwrap a 3D model and texture it convincingly. I have also learnt the use of ambient fog maps to create atmospheric and believable mist pooling around the bandstand. I have also learned how to use ambient lights in a believable way through the use of target spotlights and omni-lights.

What am I confident with?
Over the course of the two years at Shipley College I have gained a lot of confidence in my 3D modeling ability and also my digital art. When I first came to Shipley I had no idea what 3D Studio Max was and now I can use it effectively and create convincing models and even convincing textures. Although I struggled at first I gently grew my confidence until I was able to use the software without much outside help.

Did I get the desired outcome?
To put it simply, no. I originally intended my environment to uphold a comic book style with the textures and modeling but as development went on it took on the traits of photorealism instead. The final outcome produced a somewhat realistic feel but was not the intended style. It didn't really matter as I was trying to create a creepy ambiance for the scene and I still managed to do that with added music, sound effects, lighting and mist.

Professional Comparison
Professional!
Personal!
Taking into consideration the fact that the Walking Dead was modeled by a full team of extremely talented 3D artists and my own product was only created by me, a novice, I'd say I did pretty well. That said there are a lot of things I dislike about my product. Lighting, as I have spoken about before, is not to a satisfactory standard and some of the textures could use a little improvement such as the skydome and the bandstand itself. On the positive side, the modeling is believable and you can tell what the object is unlike when I first started at Shipley College. It will be a long time before I will be at the Walking Dead's level of modeling but I do believe I can get there with a lot of hard effort and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment